July: A dangerous month for teens
While it is always a good time to talk early and talk often to your youth about alcohol, the number of teens trying alcohol for the first time peaks in July. Summer, before the fall semester begins, is the perfect time to start or renew conversations with your teen about alcohol.
In July, youth under 18 begin drinking alcohol EVERY 8 SECONDS. SAMHSA, 2012; MADD, July 2014
Parents are the #1 INFLUENCE when it comes to teens & alcohol
1. Make it clear your expectation is no-alcohol use before 21
2. Agree on consequences and enforce them consistently
3. Discuss real-world consequences of underage drinking including the high fines for a minor in possession, risks of drunk driving, or loss of driver’s license or scholarship
4. Emphasize the facts — underage drinking can negatively impact health, safety and academics
5. Discuss ways to handle difficult situations where alcohol use by other students may create a problem — interrupted study time or unwanted sexual advances
6. Become familiar with the school’s alcohol use policy together
7. Demonstrate your willingness to help find constructive alternatives to drinking
8. Stay in regular communication, and talk in ways that show caring, trust and respect
Choosing the Right College If you and your child are considering a transfer, find out how to use the resources on this site to help you choose a new college.
What Parents Need to Know About College Drinking The purpose of this brochure is to highlight practical information that parents can use to help their son or daughter choose a college and to help parents better understand campus culture.
College Fact Sheet for Parents The consequences of excessive drinking by college students are more significant, more destructive, and more costly than many parents realize. These consequences affect students whether or not they drink. Parents can use this information to help prepare their college-aged sons and daughters by talking with them about the consequences of excessive drinking.
College Alcohol Policies Use our searchable list of online college alcohol policies to see what alcohol regulations are in place at your student’s college.
Snapshot of Drinking Consequences This snapshot of annual high-risk college drinking consequences includes a concise list of facts outlining the effects of alcohol abuse on college campuses, communities, and students.
Last reviewed: 7/11/2007